What a Mess!

I guess tonight was a glimpse into my future life! I made a huge mess of my living room getting all of my materials together for next week - my first full week of student teaching. I have so much planned for my kiddos and I don't want to wait until the last minute, so tonight I cut, pasted, cut some more and then pasted some more. Here is what my living room looked like just a few hours ago:


 


I'm sure most of you veteran teaching are hysterically laughing at my "mess"...since I'm sure you've seen much worse! But it's my little baby mess and I'm proud of it because I really got a ton done tonight - and it's the first time that I really feel like a teacher. My sneaky little husband was working late tonight, so he was off the hook - but my friend Deanna wasn't so lucky. She helped me cut out the pictures that my firsties will be putting in their scrapbooks. I am so glad she helped, otherwise, I'd still be at it! Here's a little sneak peak of the scrapbooks we'll be doing:
 
 

There are actually 4 pages total and the kids will choose pictures of items that we will be learning about and glue them into their scrapbooks and write down a few things about them and then write a sentence about something that is used today in place of these items. Here are some sample pictures of the ones we'll be learning about:

 
 

 

These are just a few samples. I'm actually taking in some of these items to show them. We're going to be "Historical Detectives"  to try and figure out what some of the items are. I have a whole bag full of fun stuff - a transistor radio, a record, a cassette tape, a VHS tape, some old letters with stamps, hmm...let's see, an old inkwell, ooh - my favorite - a rotary phone! We'll be using this worksheet to write down some of our guesses about the things I bring in:
I am really excited about this four-day unit. I hope I have prepared enough! I have a few other things we'll be working on - such as a cloud unit and some word-solving math lessons. I'm really excited about the cloud unit because I think it's going to be a lot of fun. We're going to learn about the 3 main types of clouds, describe them and then predict the weather based on the clouds we observe throughout the week. We'll also be reading Cloudy with a Change of Meatballs and doing a little writing lesson {another fantastic find/steal from Cara Carroll over at The First Grade Parade}. Here's the weather log we will be using to predict and review the weather next week:


As soon as I get some student samples of some their scrapbooks and the cloud activity stuff that we'll be doing, I will be sure to post them. I think they are going to turn out really cute - but if it's a disaster - I'll make sure to fess up to it!! 

Thanks for stopping by!






Labels: ,